Rabbi Neil's WEEKLY WORDS!
Read Rabbi Neil's (new) blog
Join our Social Action Committee! Sign up here.
FOUR WAYS TO RESPOND TO THE SYRIAN REFUGEE CRISIS:
1) Google will match your donation 1:1! They list several organizations to which you can donate and they will match like Doctors without Borders and Save the Children. Click here to donate via Google.
2) The Union for Reform Judaism is mounting a campaign to urge Congress to do more and there is also a good amount of reliable information from the Religious Action Center of the URJ. Click here to find out!
Della Curry was dismissed from Dakota Valley Elementary School in Aurora recently after being caught feeding kids whose parents couldn't afford to pay for their food. Instead of being fired, she should be praised for showing compassion to hungry students, and the policy should be changed.
Walmart can certainly afford to pay their workers a minimum of $15/hour (which, if a person works full time, gets him/her just to the poverty line). Join me in signing this petition and support Walmart workers. Sign here
HOLD THE LOS ANGELES COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT ACCOUNTABLE - DEMAND CIVILIAN OVERSIGHT WITH POWER!
Accountability is a Jewish value and it's part of the way in which we take the responsibility of being free: "Just balances, just weights, a just dry measure, and a just liquid measue, shall you have; I am the Lord your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt." (Lev. 19:36). If we MUST have just measures and weights how much the more so MUST a society "weigh" and "measure" the actions of its Sheriffs and make sure that they are "just"?
TAKE THE PLEDGE TO JOIN THE JEWISH MOVEMENT TO END RACISM IN AMERICA
$10 BUYS A TREE TO BE PLANTED BY PALESTINIANS AND ISRAELIS TOGETHER FOR FAMILIES IN THE WEST BANK.
In honor of Tu B'Shevat, join us in the IndieGoGo campaign
to plant the trees with farmers whose trees have been uprooted, torched or cut down by Israeli extremists --
farmers who rely on those trees for their livelihood.
Don’t let the Congress defund immigration reform!
President Obama announced his executive action on immigration at the end of last year.
That landmark reform shielded up to five million people from the terrifying threat of deportation.
Now, Republicans in Congress are trying to roll back these reforms, and worse. We can’t let that happen.
Check out the important work being done by Teruah (Formerly Rabbis for Human Rights) here
Get actively involved -- Click here for the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism
CURRENT AREAS OF CONCERN
- Support Comprehensive Immigration Reform
- Stop Racial Profiling and Promote Civil Rights
- Tell Congress to Support Green Climate Funding
- Expand Background Checks
- Protect Anti-Poverty Programs in Deficit Reduction
Neil's Album: "On This Day and all the Time" is now available!. Featuring 14 songs that will take you a musical journey for kids of all ages born of heart and inspiration.